Tuesday, July 20, 2010

And Third Place Goes To ...


My little Rockstar!

You may have seen my tweet last weekend that my girl won third place in the county 4-H fair baby contest.  We had been talking about the contest since we entered in late June.  I had told the Wee One that it was just for fun,  that Mommie already knows that she is the most precious baby in the world, so it didn't matter what the judges said.  I then gave my mother a lecture about how we shouldn't get really caught up in this, just have a good time, and not take it too seriously.

The registration form listed required dress as a onesie.  I had decided we would use her Rockstar onesie with the sewn-on tutu.  We were told that they actually meant "plain white onesie", but since they didn't specify that, other mommies were planning to have their little ones in ... "embellished" onesies.  (We took a plain white one with us - didn't want to risk being DQ'd.  From a baby contest, yo.)

We got there, and there was every kind of "embellishment" known to man.  One of the 6-month olds had a tutu on bigger than she was.  A little girl in our category had on a custom-made onesie with her initial on the front and more ribbon than my christmas presents the last three years.  (Ok, on second thought, that might not be saying much!)  Then there was the baby with the cowboy boots.  How do you compete with that?

It was hotter than you-know-what inside the arena where the contest was going on.  Wee One got a bit of stage fright and wasn't able to say "dog" or tell you what a cow says or any of her normal tricks.  Her Nan's antics in the audience finally resulted in a few blown kisses, which I think is what got our Show result.

On the way home in the car, my mom started to suggest that we get a fake microphone for her to "practice" so she would do better "next time".  Then we realized that we sounded like pageant moms, and we had a good laugh.

And hey, it's good fodder for the blog!


4 comments:

Serifm8 said...

LOL! As long as you don't spray tan her or apply fake nails (as seen on Toddlers and Tiaras) I won't call CPS. ;-)

MommieV said...

I have never watched the show, and I think I should - at least one episode. No nails or spray tan - for her. We thought about curling her hair, but then I said "it will fall in this heat". (I was amazed that those words came out of my mouth - she's 15 months old!!!)

MookiePie said...

Oh, but my favorite is the fake teeth--for when your child's teeth are too small you can have fake ones made that are bigger (and whiter.) So I'll have to add that to Serifm's list of things ;)

Serifm8 said...

Wait, what? Whaaaaat? In case your child's teeth are too small...for smiling?