Monday, April 5, 2010

I am not a serial killer ...

... even though I have been carrying a bag of bones around with me all morning.

I am giving a lab exam next week on The Bones. This is one of the most difficult parts of the classes I teach. Students have to be able to identify a bone by name, and give the names of the relevant parts of the bone. Then on the next test, after they learn the muscles (also difficult) they can tell what muscles attach to the relevant parts of the bones they are learning now.

The lab that I teach in is not very well equipped. The lab at the other campus has newer materials, so this morning I took a tote bag in with me and helped myself to the selection of bones in the storage room.

Now, these are not REAL bones. They are some sort of composite material made to look like bones. Some of them have letters on the relevant parts. Some of them have red and blue markings for the origin and insertion of muscles. So if you look closely, you can figure out they are used for teaching.



I hope. Because I have been carrying around a tote bag full of bones all day, and I'm terrified I'm going to get pulled over, and some unsuspecting police officer will get a glance at the head of a femur sticking out of my bag in the back seat and freak out.

Oh, SURE you're an anatomy teacher. And THAT'S why you're carrying around a bag of bones. Lets go downtown and you can tell us all about it.

If you came by to see how the party turned out, it was incredible, and awesome, and everything a mommie could want. I'll download the photos tonight and give you a commentary.

4 comments:

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Oh wow! I am glad they aren't real! :)

Steph

Mom said...

Love it!

Karen M. Peterson said...

It would be much creepier if they were real, but still tough to explain to a cop!

Billy said...

So funny :-).