Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Project Vegetarian

Announcing: Project Vegetarian.

Okay, tentatively announcing.

I don't know what I'm so worried about. I was a vegetarian in high school. I've done this before.

It's only about dinner to start with.  Breakfast and bedtime snack are already covered (bananas, oatmeal, and toast already fit the 'vegetarian').  She can eat whatever they serve her at daycare.  She can eat whatever they serve at Nan and Grandpa's.  At this point, I just don't want to buy and cook meat.  So, I won't.  And I'll see what I can do.

Other bloggers have written about meat-eating and their children.  So when I posted that a very dear friend of mine who eats vegetarian with her preschooler and gave me 5 pages of advice and recipes, requests came to share the info.  But since I'm the newbie and she's the Subject Matter Expert, I'm going to let her speak on the subject.  Look for a guest post soon on family vegetarian recipes, etc.

And now that I've told you all that I'm going to cook vegetarian meals ... I have a hankering for goulash.  Great.

3 comments:

Betsy said...

I was vegetarian for a while in high school as well. No longer, but admittedly, my kid eats very little meat, mostly because I find it easier to feed him that way.

I highly recommend soup for a quick, veggie dinner for the little one. Gunne Bear loves cream of broccoli and butternut squash soup and eats them frequently because I'm lazy like that. ;)

Candace said...

My family was vegan from the time I was 7 until I was out of high school.. for a few years we switched to Vegetarian. I really liked it and there are actually so many great things to eat instead of meat! Good luck :)

Genkicat said...

WooHoo on taking such a big step. I still haven't made any decisions on this front yet. Although I've read Foer's book, and have picked up Michal Pollan's "The Omnivore's Dillema" (I'm like on page 3). I will not buy factory farmed meat Ever. Again. So, is vegetarian all the way when I'm eating out since you never know where things are coming from.

Now I just need to make the jump to committed vegetarian. It will be hard for a meat eater like me - I love me some steak. But as Foer says, how much suffering does it take before I make a different choice.

I'm sure I'll get there. Just moving slowly.

So - keep us all posted on how it goes, (and post some recepies!)