Thursday, August 26, 2010

Only Second To Your Pump As Essential

I had registered for some Medela nursing pads at Babies R Us when I registered for everything else baby. A good friend and her mom (thank you Kristi and Pam!) bought me a large gift bag full of nursing supplies, including my Boppy pillow, lanolin, nursing pads, etc.

But I was doing cloth diapers, and the mamas on Diaperswappers talked about cloth nursing pads, so I should do those, right? Besides, this organic velour fabric these diapers come in is SO soft, and you can get nursing pads in the same fabric. Awesome.

I liked the idea of cloth nursing pads. Re-usable, so you don't have the expense of buying box after box for work day in and day out. You can toss them in the wash with just about any load.

The ones I used were just layers of absorbent material. Unfortunately, like diapers, you also need a waterproof layer if you are going to keep the wetness from your clothes.

I wanted to try these, but didn't.

Lots of mamas on Hyenacart or Etsy make cloth nursing pads. If you go that route, try to find some that have an outer or inner layer of PUL, or other waterproof material.

If you go the disposable route, you want ones with soft mesh and lots of absorbency, and ones that are contoured.

I never tried the Lily Padz. I like the idea of silicone that attaches to your breast and prevents leaks, rather than pads that absorb. When I'm at work, I stand in front of 40 people and wave my arms around alot (I call it "teaching") so I was always afraid of leaks and stains.

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT use these. They are cheap. And there is a reason.

Even if you go with cloth, keep a box of the disposable ones in your desk drawer, or keep another set of cloth ones in your pump bag.  Never know when you're going to have a stressful day and it will be compounded by the big wet circles on your blue shirt.

So, dear reader, that is my advice and reviews on nursing clothing and breast pads. Anything else I can help you with?

No comments: