Thursday, September 23, 2010

Shit of a Day

Sorry for the cursing.  I have new followers that are probably like "um, she's educated, why does she have to use that kind of language?"  Because the following things happened today and there aren't any other words:

1.  I managed to be in two places at one time - not really - this morning by setting up a lab exam, starting lecture, ending lecture early to drive to the other campus, introduce a facilitator for a forum since I am chair of the committee that made the forum necessary, jumped back in my car and drove back to the other campus to give said lab exam.

That necessitates a glass of wine all by itself.

2.  I was told by a student that no fewer than 9 people cheated on said lab exam.  I was in the room and walking around, and noticed some conversations that garnered my evil eye, but I didn't recognize any actual cheating.  Determining it on the test will be difficult, since the test uses models with numbered structures, so if one person wrote "22" and the other person wrote "22" and the answer is "22", did they cheat, or did they both just get the answer right?

So I'm just going to have to give a stern, slightly yelling lecture on academic honesty to a group of people who are supposed to be adults.  I try to be friendly and collegial with my students, while maintaining professional boundaries, of course.  But then I get taken advantage of, and have to become a hard ass.  Now seems to be one of those times.  (If the original student was accurate in what they reported to me.)

3.  My daughter got bit at daycare today.  On the arm.  I had to sign the "incident report" form that said she and a friend were playing and she got bit.  There are very stringent rules at this center that they will not tell the identity of a child who has bitten, so as not to stigmatize the child or their family (OR HAVE MOMMIEV SHOW UP AT THEIR HOUSE ONE EVENING TO GIVE THEM A PIECE OF HER MIND ABOUT THEIR EFFING KID WHO GOES AROUND BITING EVERY KID IN THE TODDLER ROOM).

The teacher said she didn't cry, she just put her arm (where she had been bitten) up to her mouth, like she was trying to figure out what happened.  The other child was apparently told "no" and "no biting" and "biting is bad" by the teacher.

But there's a bite mark on my baby's arm.  And I'm a little pissed about it.

4.  At several points today I thought I might be getting strep throat, and by the afternoon had almost lost my voice.  However, deciding not to work tomorrow and being able to relax (along with copious amounts of orange juice, echinacea, water, and vitamins) seems to be helping somewhat.  At least I can swallow again.  And talk.

So there you have it, my totally shit of a day.  I'm off tomorrow and only have a doctor appointment to be at.  And a toddler to chase around.  Oh, if only I could just curl up in bed all day and forget about the world for a while.

6 comments:

MookiePie said...

You poor things!
You'd think that you that you wouldn't have to deal with cheating in college--ridiculous, but I can totally see it happening :(
Poor baby girl, getting bit! I hope that nasty mark goes away quickly.
I really hope the sickness goes away quickly for you too!
I hope that tomorrow goes a wee bit better for the both of you!

Candace said...

I agree! Sometimes there are not other words and today was one of those days for me too :S Good thing our kids are so cute ha ha

Genkicat said...

Seems to me your post is aptly titled. I hope tomorrow is a better day.

Jessica White said...

That certainly does sound like one hell of a day! Your daughter is adorable!

Hope you're feeling better soon.

ICLW

Betsy said...

Ugh. I'm so sorry you had such a crappy day. Hope you feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

Ugh - 9 students? That's crazy - I hope your reminder on honesty works.

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter being bit - that's horrible! :(

ICLW #115
http://lovelyladybump.blogspot.com/